Monday, January 25, 2010

Robert Burns

Robert Burns, who is often referred to as the "National Poet of Scotland," was born on this day in 1759.

He was also a lyricist and his poem and song, "Auld Lang Syne," is usually sung on New Year's Eve.

John Steinbeck used a line of Burns' poem, " To A Mouse," in the title of his book "Of Mice and Men," in 1937.

Bob Dylan chose Burns' song, "A Red, Red Rose," as the lyric that affected him the most.

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie
That’s sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry:

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve
And fare thee weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho’ it were ten thousand mile.

The source of this information is Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. I have read from a Robert Burns collection I have at the South Bay Writers Friday night readings. He had a way with words that even today makes me feel like it's Spring and there's a pretty girl with me in the heather. I posted one of his today, May 4, at my blog www.writerichly.blogspot.com . Foregive me for translating a few old-timey Scots words in my post.

    ReplyDelete