Saturday, July 11, 2009

WORDS

Unfortunately, I am delayed in reading the book I promised to review this time: "Job Interview
Body Language."

Instead, I am devoting this post to words...

Steve Wetlesen, local poetic artist, coined a new word in his line offered to the poet laureate for Nils Peterson's mass poem.  ( Look back at my past blog for more info on the county call for a line as an entry.)

The word is "skywhale" and Wetlesen's line was referring to a blimp he saw over Moffett Field.
The line is: "Moffett tarmac-white blimp, the floating skywhales return!" He notes that the new word might also refer to balloons.

Another time recently where the wonder of words hit me was after seeing the performance, "Wicked."  Unexpectedly, there are some turns in words in the dialogue that are very amusing and entertaining.  I am not going to give any examples so as not to spoil the effect.  It is my hope that "Wicked" will be transformed into a movie, complete with all the sets, costumes, singing, etc. like both "Rent" and "Mama Mia" were recently.

Words may also be used to remember a loved pet. Our dog Copper died last week and I am submitting a poem in his honor to the Poodle Rescue Society's newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment